Roasted Vegetable Muffaletta on Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
Make a supersized sandwich on our delicious Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, wiped with paper towel to remove dirt
- 4 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into ½" rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, stem and end removed, cut in half and sliced in ½" pieces lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
- ¾ lb assorted pitted olives, look for kalamata/green olive mix at your grocery store's olive bar
- 6 oz shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf August First Jalapeno Cheddar Bread, cut in half horizontally
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
For the Mushroom Marinade
For the Roasted Vegetables
Preheat oven to 400°F
Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with cooking spray, or spread 2 tablespoons of olive oil evenly across the bottom of the dish. Place mushroom caps in dish, stem side up. Stir marinage, and pour over mushrooms into the gills, trying not to spill outside the caps. Cover with aluminum foil. Set aside.
Toss onion slices, zucchini and red pepper with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
Place vegetables and mushrooms in oven at the same time, with mushrooms on the higher of the two racks. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to just brown, 30-35 minutes.
Roast the mushrooms, at the same time, but keep covered with foil. Remove when just tender, approximately 30-40 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
Meanwhile, pulse olives in food processor with 1 tablespoon olive oil for 10 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl.
Spread half of the olives on the bottom half of the loaf. Add two portobello caps, half of the roasted vegetables, half of the basil, and half of the shredded cheese. Repeat.
Spread remaining olive mixture on inside of the top half of the loaf, then carefully put on top of the sandwich. Press down evenly.
Return the Roasted Vegetable Muffaletta to the sheet pan and heat in the oven until the cheese has melted, about 5-8 minutes.
Transfer to a cutting board or serving tray, and cut into large wedges. Serve hot or cold!